Well, Natalie set up this joint blog almost a month ago and I haven't posted yet. Thus said, I, Jack, the husband, am hereby posting my very first blog post. Kudos to me and mine.
Since we left home late on Dec 21 to join the West clan in Georgia for Christmas, we decided to have our own Christmas that very morning.
How exciting it was! We woke up, looked at each other, and screamed simultaneously (as if it had been rehearsed) "Presents!". Okay, so I made that all up. Maybe next year.
We did get up early (both of us had to work at about 8:30), prayed (it's a Christmas tradition afterall) and went to see what Santa had brought for us. Yes, kids, Santa can arrange to come a few days early...it's about who you know, not what you know.
We decided to open gifts from friends and family before opening
gifts from each other. But before any wrapping paper was torn or the first bow untied, I had a feeling I should open the front door. And to my surprise I saw one of my favorite things. No, not warm woolen mittens or a single bright copper kettle, but there was no mistaking a single, bonafide, brown paper package tied with genuine string. Needless to say, Christmas had officially begun. Thanks Jeff!But the real winner of the gift giving contest was my wife. Sure, I'm biased, you're saying to yourself. Well, you're right. But honestly folks, Natalie outdid you all, and that includes you, Santa.
The more I reflect on it, the more I feel that Natalie's gift to me was a gift of love...and that's not just mushy married people talk. She gifted me a gorgeously framed print by Walter Rane: "The Desires of My Heart". I've coveted this picture far longer than is good for anyone's soul. Truly the picture is worth more than a thousand words. But the words is says most to me aren't ones describing the print itself. Nothing about the background trees or the expression of worshipful awe on Joseph's face.
More than anything, the gift says, "I love you. I believe in you. I believe in us and the Celestial nature of our marriage. I believe we can achieve greatness and we don't have to wait for some great future event to be happy. I'm happy with you. I know you're balding, but I'm glad I chose you and I'd do it again. I know you're not perfect, and you don't have to be yet. We'll get there together. I love YOU."Perhaps that's not how Natalie would phrase those things at all, but that's what I heard over the wrapping paper and bubble wrap. And that's what I hear every time I look at it. They may not be the sounds of doorbells and sleigh bells and wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings, but they are indeed some of my favorite things.
3 comments:
Wow, your wife DOES love you...even if you are all mushy and stuff. Merry Christmas!
Great first post Jack! You need to have some mushy stuff in a marriage in the middle of the every day life! And Natalie, that is a wonderful present:)
that's a really cute post. Happy first Christmas together!
Post a Comment