Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We're alive

I don't really know why I haven't been in the blogging mood lately (like for the past four months). I should write more. This is pretty much it for the record of my life. But I'm not going to make any promises for more frequent postings or anything because I'm afraid I'd only break them.
As I was emailing my great aunt today I gave her a general update on our lives...it kind of sounded like a Christmas letter (which we never got around to writing) or a blog entry (also lacking lately). I've already typed it all...may as well modify it a bit and share it with the rest of the family and friends so they know we're alive too.

Things are going well for us here. Busy, but good. Jack is staying very busy with school, homework, extra curricular activities, and internship searching, plus now he's debating about doing a PhD so he's trying to do some prep for that. Add in scouts, diligent home teaching, YM president, and well...lets just say I value my time with him :) I sometimes celebrate that we're more than 1/4 through this MBA thing, and think that I'll get to spend more time with Jack after he graduates, but then I realize he'll either be working or doing a PhD program then working after MBA... Only 35ish years til retirement! I'm really not wishing our lives away. I am happy with this stage of life. I just really like my husband and like to spend time with him. I'm grateful for all his hard work though!
I'm in the Primary presidency now and am enjoying that. We've got a fairly small primary---28 kids on the roll---and we've been working on activating some of the kids/families in the ward. I don't really know that it's anything we're doing, but so far two of the less active families have been coming so we're glad about that. I'm trying to find more opportunities to do things during the day with real people who can hold a conversation with me. I love being able to stay at home with Jackson, but I've recently decided I need more adult interaction. I do some stuff with the MBA spouse group and try to go to our ward's playgroup, but sometimes that just isn't enough.
Jackson will officially be in nursery in four weeks and we're all looking forward to that. It gets to be challenging to try and entertain him quietly and keep him from distracting the kids in primary, plus trying to do opening exercises or sharing time. I think once he is in nursery I'll be able to be more "active" in primary on Sundays. Right now I feel like I spend half the time out in the hall with him. Jack takes him during Sunday School, but then he has to be in YM and teaches frequently. We took Jackson into nursery and stayed with him (can't leave him til he's 18 months) this Sunday for the first time. Other than being way overdue for a nap, he did pretty well. I'm not sure how to manage the nap situation on Sundays with our new schedule. He usually goes down for a nap around 11:30, but now our church starts at 11. Hopefully it won't be too big of a problem though if he's playing in nursery. He's the smallest little person in there, for sure. He got run over a few times on Sunday but didn't seem to mind too much. It'll be good for him to learn to sit and listen to the short lesson and stuff. He participated some, but didn't really know what was going on for some of it. I tried to kind of stay in the background so he doesn't expect me to be there with him all the time in nursery. Fortunately he will usually go to anyone and loves some of the nursery workers. Unfortunately, they're moving soon....the same family that babysits Jackson all the time. Not sure what we're going to do when they leave!
In other news, my latest cereal of choice is Cinnamon Life (on sale for $1 a box, so I love it even more!), Parent's Choice changed their diapers and now they're less absorbant, and Snuggies may be funny but they sure are functional!

We are alive.

6 comments:

SMT Family said...

Glad to hear you are alive.

Enjoy the student-wife life. I loved it and I think I love it even more looking back on it. I know some days can be super tough. I imagine it is harder with an active little one, but he is super cute :)

I can't believe Jackson is almost 18 months old...he is growing up so fast.

Again, glad you are alive and well. We love you.

Becky said...

We have been using disposable diapers at night because Caleb has a rash we've been treating with a cream (you can't use creams with cloth diapers or it affects their absorbancy), and we have the Parent's Choice brand. It's not uncommon for Caleb to wake up quite soaked from the waist down--I wondered if he was just starting to wet more, or if it was the diapers (they are the cheapest ones, so what do I expect?)

Karen said...

I've missed everyone's blogging. Our whole family seemed to stop at the same time, I guess Christmas will do that. Glad you're back.

I used the cheap diapers on the boys when we were at home but if we went out or at bedtime I put the 'brand' name ones on them. I can't say I'm too excited to go back to diapers in a few months.

Jordan said...

I just got released from nursery. That sure would be fun to be Jackson's nursery leader.

Chris said...

Natalie, you are always such an entertaining writer! :) Even though we got to be with your for Christmas...or you were with us, I have missed your updates on your blog. Hard to believe it's nursery time for Jackson already.

Unknown said...

I feel like you A LOT! I need real conversation. I'm shy at heart, but when I get around friends I sometimes find myself talking too much. I just need more than a toddler conversation sometimes! If you ever need to talk, I'm up for it. :)