Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo in Hong Kong


Three years isn't very long in the grand scheme of things, but it's amazing how the events of such a small period of time can affect the rest of your life.

From a very muggy hotel room in Hong Kong, I'm remembering a very cold, snowy Cinco de Mayo three years ago (the pic above was taken at a later date, not on our actual wedding day). I can't wait to return home to celebrate three years of wedded bliss with Natalie. She's pretty amazing to have supported me in coming on this MBA trip to China for 13 days, especially considering that I'm away today--on our third wedding anniversary.

Most of our readers know this, but here's a friendly reminder:
Natalie is an amazing woman. She is a strong, loving, extremely supportive and capable wife. She's my best friend. She's an exemplary and patient mother. She inspires me to be better. She's my Eternal Companion, and I consider myself to be pretty stinkin' lucky to be hers.

This morning I attended an endowment session in the Hong Kong Temple. As I sat in the Temple, I considered the verse from Genesis 2: "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make an help meet for him."

We often read that phrase and put the words "help" and "meet" together as one noun phrase, but I like to think of it in terms of adjectival definitions of the word "meet." These definitions include being suitable, fitting, and appropriate. The word can also mean equal, as in, "It meets my expectations."

Eve was surely a suitable, appropriate, and equal help for Adam. I'm grateful that Natalie is for me a suitable and equal partner. We go together even better than a wink and a smile :) She is an help meet for me, and I for her. I love her and miss her much more than I can convey in a single blog post. I'm grateful for the last three years together and the promise of eternity as one.

Happy Anniversary, Love!

6 comments:

the Villamor's said...

yes you are lucky!! :) can't believe it has been 3 years!

Natalie said...

I sure love you too! Thanks for the kind post :)

Grandma West said...

Dear Natalie and Jack.

Gosh, has it been three years already? Congradulations. Wait until you have been married 58 years.
Jack we are missing you, hurry home.

Love, Grandma West

--jeff * said...

i like natalie.

way to be eternally awesome, manfriend.

and way to have a pinata at your cinco de mayo wedding reception.

Lindsey said...

Well that was just so sweet. I am so glad that you appreciate Natalie. She is an incredibly amazingly wonderful person!

Congrats on the anniversary!

Aimee said...

Congrats! :) I just noticed this counter on here saying you are expecting again! Awesome! Did you know that your baby is due on my Bday! :) How fun!