Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Because it is there!


I can't really say I was sad this afternoon to find out about the passing of Sir Edmund Hillary; I didn't realize he hadn't died years or even decades ago.

I remember as a wee lad I loved to pull out a volume of our dark blue Encyclopedia Americana books at random, flip open and learn about whomever or whatever became the topic of the day. Nerdy, huh? You probably never would've guessed that I used to be a nerd. I was probably in second grade (or grade two for you Canadians) when I first read about Edmund Hillary's first and only expedition to Mt. Everest, when he became the first human on record to summit the massive, seemingly unconquerable Himalayan giant.

You can read more details of the expedition here.

An earlier explorer to Everest (Hillary reached the summit in 1953), George Mallory was asked, "Why would you want to attempt to climb the world's highest peak?" His response was merely, "Because it is there." Mallory and his team went missing in 1924. His ice axe was found in 1933 just more than 1,000 below the summit. His remains were found in 1999. It is unknown whether he and his team ever made it to the top, or died in the attempt.

I've always been taught to dream. I applaud dreamers. I love the movie "Rudy". I love seeing great achievements being made--the impossible finally within reach. I love to "dream the impossible dream".

Cheers, Sir Edmund Hillary. My hat's off to you.


(Pictured are Edmund Hillary and sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay, who ascended together. They were the only two of their expedition to reach the top).

4 comments:

~Bekahjo said...

I have found your blog and added you to my list. I hope you don't mind. I'm assuming you won't because my name is on your list. =]
Jack, if you ever want to teach seminary again, you and Natalie can move out here to Cali. Then you can do a regular job AND teach. Of course, you'll have to get up at 5am...
Happy Thursday!
=] Bekah

The Taylors said...

Hi Guys, this is Mandy Taylor, your cousin. I love your blog! I love blogs!! I think they are so fun. I am going to add you to our link list :)

Molly said...

Ahem. I've stood idly by long enough and watched you NOT update. It's time to intervene. I know that you have very interesting things to say. We're your adoring public!

Holdinator said...

That's wonderful. Dreaming is so important for everyone. Without dreams and goals, whatever they may be, life seems pretty dull.