Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pass the rice

Exciting (and crazy!) news: We're headed to China for the summer! Jack has been offered an internship position with Goodyear in China, and we're taking it. There is so much to think about, I just don't even really know where to start. I'm so proud of Jack for getting this position. The internship search has been long and grueling. We started searching, applying, and interviewing six months ago and really expected to have an offer by Christmas, but that didn't happen. Many of the companies he applied for seemed like they would be a great fit and we were quite hopeful for a few of them, but none panned out. We kept telling ourselves that the Lord is in charge and that there must be something bigger and better in store that we just couldn't see yet. And we were right.


Goodyear came recruiting at BYU much later than most of the other major companies, which turned out to be a great thing for us. Jack had his first interview on campus the last week of January, and then he flew back to Goodyear's headquarters in Akron, Ohio, for interviews Feb. 19th. They were very interested in his China connections and language abilities and asked if we'd be open to going to China for our internship. I really wanted to be excited. Part of me was---I knew it would be a great opportunity for Jack's career. But China?! My Chinese vocabulary consists of about nine words, none of which I pronounce correctly I'm sure. How would I go anywhere or do anything? How would I go grocery shopping? Who would I talk to and be friends with? What about medical needs while we're there? Do we just take clothes and then start over and buy other necessities there? How do you find a place to live half a world away when you don't speak the language or know anyone? Won't I be lonely all the time? I just tried not to think about all of these things. A guy from Goodyear called the day after Jack's interviews and said they really liked him and to expect an official offer early the next week (last week). He also wanted Jack to talk to a head person at their China facilities about the possibility of going there. We waited all week for the official word and finally got it this Monday, but didn't know if it would be for Ohio or China. Big difference. It's hard to arrange a phone call when there is a 15 hour time difference, but finally they were able to talk yesterday. She told him all about what is happening over there and pretty much told him that if he wanted to go to China, they'd love to have him.

Jack told me about the call and my response was, "Great! Let's do it!" ...I kind of shocked myself, but I really do feel good and calm about it now. Sure, I still have all those same questions as before, but I know it'll all work out. We had been praying to know what would be best for our family and Jack's career, and I have especially been praying to be able to be accepting and trusting of Heavenly Father's plan for us regarding where to go, and to be calm with the outcome and supportive of Jack. And I guess this is it. I really am excited now---it'll be such an adventure! I'm going to try to learn the language more. And it turns out we'll most likely be in Shanghai or at least split the time between Shanghai and Dalian; that makes me feel a lot better about it all because Shanghai is a much bigger city, where there would be lots of other expatriates living there, western medicine, and even some branches of the Church. So, we're doing it! We have a lot of details to work out still...like exactly when we'd go there and come back; right low it looks like mid-May through mid-August. I'm really excited and am looking forward to it all. Well, maybe not to the crazy food and squatter toilets.

Who wants to come visit us in China? Bring your own toilet paper!

16 comments:

Mindy said...

Congrats!! This is very exciting! Can John order another suit while your there??

Natalie... I think this is the first of many trips to China...

Vee said...

WOW China. Congratulations. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you and what an adventure! Please blog about it so we can see the sights and hear about the experiences you have there. I'm so jealous.

The Kelseys said...

Wow! Congratulations you guys! What an experience that will be. Good luck with everything.

Kathryn said...

Sounds fun! They have squatter toilets in Europe too, but mainly normal toilets.

Chris said...

Congratulations to you both!~ Jack on the job, & Natalie on being such a supportive wife. :)I will be an exciting adventure, for sure. I sure hope you have internet & that we can SKYPE regularly, cause I'm afraid we'd both be in major withdrawls if we couldn't talk to each other. Now the 15 hour time diff. may be a challenge...

Suzanna said...

Holy Cow! This is going to be quite the experience. You'll really have to keep us all informed while you're there. I'm sure Jack is ecstatic. Mark would love it if he could go to Estonia for work. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! That's fantastic! What an opportunity. It all pays off to put things in the Lord's hands. Good luck!

Becky said...

WOw, how exciting! I would feel exactly the same way as you. I'm sure it will be quite an adventure! How cool.

Marjorie West said...

WOW. I think the funnest part would be flying over to China in the Goodyear Blimp!
Grandma & Grandpa West

Eevi said...

that is so adventurous!! good luck!

Karen said...

How exciting & a bit scary at the same time. You're much braver than I would be. Congrats.

Molly said...

Holy wow! I think this is amazing. Heavenly Father can be very surprising, huh?

SMT Family said...

Wahoo! That sounds amazing and what a fabulous opportunity. Yay for adventures!

Lindsey said...

That is certainly very adventurous of you. I have a friend from AL who lived there for a while. Let me know if you want to get in touch with her in case she maybe has some tips. Good Luck and AWESOME!

the Villamor's said...

i am so excited for you!!! this will be such a fun experience! After visiting the Philippines last summer i would love to spend a year living there. And the bigger cities are better...maybe there will be more English-speaking people than you think! can't wait to hear more details about your trip!!!

~Bekahjo said...

That's so great!!! Congratulations, that will be so exciting for you. And if you have questions you should talk to Chad and Sara Lee, they were there for quite a while... =]