When we went to Georgia to visit my family in February, we finally did it. It was really unplanned, too. It just sorta happened. The first day there when Jackson woke up I told him to put his soother under his pillow and that it was only going to be for when he was sleeping in bed. He did it and didn't even complain. He used it for nap time, and then put it back. I was shocked. Most days he'll still have it in his mouth when he gets out of bed, but I ask him to put in his bed back and he'll run and throw it on his bed or give it to me to put away. We've only had a few times where he didn't want to, but I won anyway. I really can't believe it was this easy. At first I debated whether I should let him have it when he was in the car or other times like that, but decided against it. Why make this more complicated if it was working for us?
The next step will be to get rid of it at night too. I'm dreading that, but who knows, it could end up being just as easy as this was. We only have one soother left, and it is getting kind of ragged from him chewing on it, so when it gets lost or broken that'll be the end; we won't be replacing it.
I gave Clayton Jackson's soother the other day just to see what would happen. Clayton tried to suck on it but couldn't even keep it in his mouth. Kinda funny :)
I sure am glad we've had this much success so easily! I guess that means this little guy is growing up!
5 comments:
We started doing that with Luke in January and he took to it really well. If he gets hurt or upset he'll ask for it, but we just distract him and he's fine. I realized how much he relies on that thing to comfort him with everything. I was totally dreading taking it away from as well, but thankfully, it has been a really easy transition for us too!
YAY!! I'm proud of Jackson & you! :)
Isn't it nice some things in life don't turn out to be the battle we expected them to be?
I was pleasantly surprised when we did the same thing with Kyler. He will even take naps without it sometimes too. I'm sure he'd be fine at night, but like you said, it's a little scary to do it (all we want is a little sleep around here!) Now it's about time to start tackling the big boy bed...though I have a feeling that one won't be quite as easy!
That is so awesome for Jackson! Getting rid of the pacifier was a major trial for me more than Eliza. I was just panicked about how difficult it was going to be, but she gave it up really easy during the day. The night was a little more challenging, but after a few difficult nights we were pacifier free and it was liberating!
Sophia had hers until she was over 3 and her teeth fully recovered;) no worries there! it is amazing how quickly the teeth will move back into place!
Post a Comment