We're working on teaching Jackson more signs and he's catching on pretty well. He sometimes gets them confused and does the wrong one for what he's wanting, but he's learning. And sometimes if there is something that he wants to tell us but doesn't know the sign he'll go through all of them that he knows just trying to figure it out. It's pretty cute!A few days ago I was feeding him some banana (one of his favorite foods---he can eat a whole banana in one sitting)...I was feeding him some banana and was doing the sign and saying "banana" over & over, trying to get him to catch on. He wasn't interested in signing it though, but he did say "Nana" ...ok! If you want to just talk and skip the signing, that's fine :) He said it twice that day and hasn't said it again since, but it was still fun.

He also learned to both sign and say "doggy" today. We were out playing at the park when the neighbor's dog came outside. Jackson got excited about it so I showed him the sign while saying "doggy" several times and then he caught on and started doing both! I could tell that he was proud of himself and excited to be able to communicate what he was seeing.
It's so fun to be able to "talk" to Jackson and have him understand and "talk" back!
6 comments:
Wow. That's really cool. I haven't experimented with signing with my kids. That's really amazing though. I can only imagine what it will lead to down the road, as far as interests in different ways of communication! Bravo Mom and Dad!
how fun! your mom told me about his verbal skills tonight! for sure a genius!
teach him the sign for turkey and then the sign for "no" because if it has anything to do with turkey he will definately not want it...remember that? how did that man say it??
is there a sign for the fuzzbuzz?
That's cool that he is signing and talking, too! I have noticed Caleb trying to sign something when he doesn't know the signs for it too--then I feel bad that he can't tell me what he wants and he just makes gestures. I'm trying to teach him more signs, but I have to learn more myself.
wow, pretty impressive. I need to start learning more signs, because i'm going to be behind when Livie is able to start learning them! Where did you learn them?
Amazing!! I think it's great you can communicate with each other. While the "guessing game" can be fun, hopefully it will cut down on some of his frustration--and yours.
As the years go on, just keep in mind that at one point in time you thought it was cute when he 'talked back.'
Post a Comment