Crestfallen. Disheartened. Discouraged. Heartbroken. Depressed. Downcast. Down in the dumps. Disappointed. Low. Blue. Bummed. Despondent.
...All of that, and more.
I just went to the dentist. It's been a while...like 2 1 /2 years I think. Jack went last week and, to everyone's surprise, was cavity free. I've never had a cavity in my life, but still get nervous every time that I'll have one, and yet, deep down don't really think I will. And every time they start focusing on one little area and scraping away I worry. Anyway... So tra la la, I go to the dentist. Hygienist surveys my mouth, does x-rays, cleans my teeth (I gag on whatever nasty flavor the toothpaste was...After gagging I asked what the flavor was and she said she thought it was cherry or something. I tell her it is gross...she doesn't get the hint and switch to a different kind. Note to self: request mint next time.), she tells me to floss more often, and tells me several times that I have nice, healthy teeth and that it doesn't look like it's been so long since I've been to the dentist. She looks over the x-rays and says it all looks good, and says the dentist will be in soon. Dentist comes in...she has braces...that's weird. Anyway, she looks at my teeth too, does a little scraping and poking, I tell her about the little chip that bugs me and she says she can file it down if I want her to. And then, it happens. She finds a little spot and focuses on it. Really, I don't think too much of it... and then... she says the "C" word! NNNNOOOOoooo! It's just a tiny little hole...barely even a cavity...will take less than 30 minutes to fill, probably won't even have to numb me... but a cavity nonetheless. So next Thursday morning will find me in the dentist chair, getting my first filling of my life.
What a year this has been! Two of my records, dashed. Broken. You may recall my more than 20-year streak of not throwing up was broken in November. Now every time I start to feel yucky I worry that I actually might throw up because turns out I am human and am capable of doing so. And apparently my teeth can get cavities too.
...I feel like I should just throw in the towel in life.
7 comments:
I have a cavity too :(
I have been cavity-free, too, and then at my most recent visit in April, they said I had "two little ones" that weren't even anything to worry about, or needed filling (??) but just to keep brushing and flossing. I bought mouthwash and now use that with my dental routine, and I think/hope the cavities have resolved themselves. I feel your pain (more emotional than physical, of course)
What??? Both my girls have their first cavity? Gasp!!
Actually, I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago and mentioned that I had a rough spot on my back tooth. It tured out an old filling had leaked and a small piece had chipped off. Then he said the 'c' word to me...there was a...cavity.
I think there's a dentist conspiracy going on here!!!
It's pregnancy! I never had any problems with my teeth or much of anything for that matter, until I had kids. I love my kids, but pregnancy certainly messes with your body.
Tyler just got his first cavity too--he was absoltuely shocked and devastated. We would love to see you when you come to Georgia!! Email me to let me know when you are coming and we can work out something: rr_rushton@yahoo.com
Does this mean that you are no longer the Natalie that I know and love?!? ;) We might have to start over and see if we can still be friends...
I miss my Natalie...cavities, blousing, I'll take it :)
like my dear sister, i also never had a cavity growing up. not until high school, anyway, although i had conveniently forgotten that until sometime in college.
anyway, i understand your sadness of having your perfect record tarnished.
it's ok, though.
i still like you.
but yeah, lame.
Post a Comment