Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Jack's Birthday

Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like taking out the trash while wearing a birthday hat, eh?
(note the product placement above.  OK, it wasn't intentional, but it is there nonetheless.)
 At Kellogg's, your birthday is considered a holiday.  Jack had to go to work anyway because he had meetings he couldn't miss, but he was able to go out to lunch with some coworkers.  I had plans to win the Wife of the Year Award, but due to a lack of transportation (and not wanting to spend 3 hours in the car with the boys to drive Jack to work, go for lunch, and then pick him up) I failed.  Maybe next year.



Jack took the Friday after his birthday off of work instead and we went to a park nearby and rented a rowboat for an hour.  Clayton screamed in my arms for the first half hour (it is really hard to hold a squirmy screaming baby when you're both wearing bulky life jackets) and then fell asleep for the second half.  Jackson enjoyed being on the boat for the first little while, and then by the time Clayton calmed down and fell asleep, Jackson started saying he was done and wanted to go back and get of the boat.   Fun times.  Jack and I really did have fun, even if the boys didn't totally enjoy it.  I think we'll attempt it again some time.


After we left the park, we went to celebrate Jack's birthday by waiting in line at the DMV to get our new North Carolina driver's licenses.  We had to take the written test...I was a wee bit nervous. Jack read or skimmed over most of the book, but I only read a few pages. Fortunately that was enough and we both passed. Did you know passing a stopped school bus will get you more points on your license than a hit & run, reckless driving, or driving without a license?
We then went to Red Robin and used both Jack and Jackson's birthday coupons for free meals.  There are some benefits to having birthdays so close together!

Thanks for having a birthday, Love! Do it again next year, ok?

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think that is so neat that Kelloggs give their employees the day off for their birthday.
Happy 30th Jack.

Becky said...

We just got our WA licenses (or at least the temporary ones, till they mail us the real ones). We didn't have to take a written test, but I was driving home from the store this morning and I ALMOST didn't notice the school bus in the lane next to me with the big red blinking STOP sign sticking out of its side. Whew, I stopped! Your comment made me think of that--sheesh, I didnt' know I almost did something worse than a hit and run.