We had a few friends over for dinner. Man, did they taste good. Actually, we had three couples join us to watch the games. All four women are seriously pregnant (we wouldn't joke about that). The men cooked Chinese vittles including Congyoubing (scallion pancakes), Xihongshi Chaodan (Fried eggs & tomatoes), Heidouji (Black bean chicken), mifan (sticky rice, of course). We had tangyuan (glutinous rice balls), pistachio pie and fruit for dessert. Brilliant.
The incredible display of history, music, and culture brought back so many memories of my time in China and my enormous love for the selfless people I met while serving in the Montgomery Chinese Branch near D.C. Yes, the program was great. But my personal appreciation for the event went far beyond the program itself. It represented every Chinese person I know and love (whether a Chinese citizen or not). It represented the music and food, the smells, the language, the sense of unity and regard for others that have become such an important part of who I am. And on some level, are part of all of us.
I guess that's what the Olympics are really all about.
3 comments:
dang. i'm not sorry that i was in texas catching a garter, but i'm glad to know that i had some other good options too: zhang yimou, good chinese food, and awesome people.
Russia declared war during the Olympics. Can you believe that?!
Did you serve in Montgomery County in Maryland? Nathan and I live in Gaithersburg, MD. If you and Natalie ever want to come out and visit the area you are more than welcome to stay with us. We will be there for another 2 years.
Post a Comment