Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Story

Jackson Keith Shirts!

He's here! I still can't even believe it! We're loving it all even if it isn't real yet. I guess I'll start from the very beginning with the story---or at least with Friday.

I was pretty sure things were starting to happen on Friday and thought it probably wouldn't be very many days until Little Boy arrived. I was having contractions and feeling uncomfortable, but nothing too bad. By the evening it wasn't feeling too great, but we had people over and were busy so I was kind of distracted.

Saturday we went up to Bountiful for Aaron's wedding--- went to the breakfast and I was uncomfortable---having some contractions, but I don't know how close they were. I wasn't timing them, and they weren't really all that strong. I didn't sleep much the night before, so we went back to Jack's parent's house and I tried to sleep for a while. Then we went to the sealing and I really started to notice that they were coming pretty regularly, but again wasn't timing it.

Here's the last picture we have of us before Jackson was born.

And here's a picture of Aaron and Maren on their day.

After that when we went back to the Shirts' I timed a few because I was curious and they were six minutes apart. That kind of surprised me---I didn't realize they were that close. Who knew? By the time the reception rolled around, I told Jack we wouldn't be staying for all of it, but we could make an appearance and then go home early---wasn't feeling great. They started getting stronger while we were there but because I was supposed to be happy and talking to people and stuff, I tried to. By 8:00, it was time to go home. On the way home I started noting how often they were and told Jack every time one started. 8:17. 8:24. 8:32. 8:40. 8:45. 8:52. 9:00. 9:06. Yes, that was regular. About every 7 minutes, and lasting about 45 seconds. I decided that I should probably gather the rest of the things on our packing list---all the last minute stuff. Then I did a load of laundry and put away dishes and tried to come up with things to do to distract myself. I timed a few of them again and it was every 4 or 5 minutes and lasting about a minute. I told Jack that, and then tried to call my mom once again (she was in California doing the wedding thing for my cousin and didn't have her phone with her all day). It finally occurred to me to call my uncle's phone---surely he had it with him, and he was probably near her. He wasn't with her any more, but was able to track her down and had her call me when she got back to her phone. She told me it might be time to go in to the hospital. I really didn't want to go and then be sent home & told to wait it out some more. Jack called the hospital to see what they said about when to come in. They said when they're 3-5 minutes apart and I can't walk our talk during them. Ok, maybe I'll wait a bit longer. All of a sudden they were coming way closer together and way stronger...to the point where I really couldn't walk or talk during it, and decided that it was indeed time. Jack ran around in the 2 minute break between them and gathered stuff and took it to the car. We got to the hospital at about midnight. When we pulled up to the curb I started to get out of the car and another one hit. There was a guy there who was packing up to go home and said he'd go tell them to bring out a wheelchair for us, which turned out to be a great thing. They took me in and I was very happy to find out that our nurse, Jill, was the one who taught our prenatal class and works at our doctor's office so it was nice to kind of know her.

NOTE: Now Jack is typing. With commentary by Natalie, typed one-handed while holding a baby.

We got into the exam room. Natalie was dilated to 2. This was right around midnight. We were preparing for a long night. Happily, they didn't send us home, but admitted Natalie. Apparently my water had broken already but I have no idea when. I'm not sure how I could have missed it, but I guess I did! Within 30 - 45 minutes the anesthesiologist was in our room giving Natalie an epidural. HOORAY! We were able to get a little bit of sleep after that. Kirt, the anesthesiologist is my hero!
At 3 a.m. the nurse (a different one than we'd had before--she was lead nurse that night so we
got another one) checked and Natalie was measuring at 5. Unfortunately, the epidural stopped working its magic at about that same time. Still had effect for the rest of the labor and delivery, but not its full effect. My right side was still numb, but I could still feel contractions on the left side. They upped my dose, but it didn't really help very much more. It was still way better than without the epidural, but I could definitely feel things.
At 4 a.m. Natalie measured at 7. ...but the nurse didn't tell me I was a 7---she must have checked me while doing something else. Jill, the original nurse came in and said "So, I hear you are a 7 now!" I am?? ok!
At 5 a.m. she measured at 10. Fast progression, if you ask me. ...I felt like pushing then, and the nurse asked if I could hold out for an hour for Dr Judd to get there. They started setting up and bringing in all the other nurses & respiratory therapist and stuff around 5:30 and I couldn't believe this was really going to happen so soon!
The doctor arrived around 6:07 and Jackson was born at 6:25. The contractions slowed down after Dr. J arrived. They never were very regular when I was at the hospital, but I was still progressing. They ended up using forceps because his head was kind of turned---Dr Judd said I could push for another hour or he could use the forceps...no question. I think I had about 5 or 6 sets of pushing. He came out crying & had an APGAR of 8-9 so everything was great & we had a healthy little baby boy!
It was such and amazing and surreal feeling to watch the birth. I can't describe how proud I am of Natalie. This little person is real! And we get to love him and squeeze him and keep him for our very own. This was truly a sacred and Good Sabbath.

A few more pics for your enjoyment:

Jackson right after birth.Thanks Dr. JuddNatalie's first time holding Jackson.

Very proud Papa.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, he really is so adorable. When Jack took over typing I didn't get any of the details on how Natalie is doing? Was the delivery okay? I feel so bad that the epidural stopped! OUCHIE! Congrats again, Dave and I are both so happy for you two, or should I say three?

Kristi said...

I think it's funny that Jack is wearing scrubs too in the picture with your doctor. He looks in his element. That's weird that your epidural wore off. Did you have that little thingy that you can push to give you more when it starts to wear off? Anyway, Jackson is so cute and I can't wait to see him again.

Mollie said...

Love it! Thanks for the pictures and details. And for the phone call on Monday.

Greg said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. You are going to be such a wonderful mommy!! He is such a cutie.

Unknown said...

Natalie and Jack! Well you brought me to tears on this one. What a beautiful little bundle and I love the name choice. :) Kylee was born on that very day three years ago. On top of that, hearing the story really brought back so many memories of all three times I've done that. You sound like you did things exactly right, straight out of a book or something. You are so blessed! Congrats. I will be at the shower tomorrow. I can't wait to meet little Jackson. :)

~Bekahjo said...

Congratulations Jack and Natalie and little Jackson!! You guys are so adorable!

Bruce and Mitzi said...

Congrats! He is so cute, and I'm glad to hear it all went well. Enjoy every second! (I'm sure you already are!) Hope all goes well for your cute family.

Vee said...

Congratulations!! I'm so glad everything turned out OK. He is so adorable. I'm so excited for you guys. Enjoy!

--jeff * said...

jack, it's nice to see your black scrubs again.
thank you for the story--i like the intermixed commentaries, although, not being a mother, i guess i don't know what details i missed.
i like the happy ending.

Unknown said...

I claim babysitting as soon as you guys are comfortable leaving him for an hour to go to dinner! That boy is so cool. Thanks for letting us come meet him!

Mark said...

Hooray! What a great story! I hope to be able to copy and paste your story into our blog in two months. It sounds like everything was just great! You're so blessed that everything worked out well and that all 3 of you are happy and healthy. I want to come by with Suzanna to see the newest Shirts. We called last night, but we didn't get an answer.