Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

ClearPlay Anyone?

How many times have you said, "It was such a good movie ...except that one part..." or "...except the language" ?? Probably way too many. I know I have. We love watching movies, but it seems like it is harder and harder to find good movies that are really good. Maybe you've heard of ClearPlay---it's a DVD player that filters normal movies to take out all the unnecessary stuff that you really don't want to see anyway. You can check this out to see how it all works, but basically the DVD player comes with a little jump drive that you plug into your computer to download all the filters, and then you plug the jump drive into the ClearPlay DVD player and it filters the movie as you watch it. There are 2620 movies that have filters already, and they release filters for new movies as they come out---they say often on the same day that the movie is released. And there are something like 12 different categories you can choose different levels of filtering on...like profanity, nudity, violence...I don't know what else, but my understanding is that you can pick & choose what you filter out. You buy the DVD Player, and you buy a membership that allows you to download new releases as they come out. The regular price for the DVD player is $79.99 (Seagull Book sells it for $59.99), and the membership is $7.99/month or $79.99 for a year. Jack's brother has a ClearPlay and we've enjoyed watching movies on it without having to worry about "that one part" or cringing every time there is bad language. And even though the stuff on the web site makes it seem really cheesy, it is well done and looks really good. So we decided to get one ourselves.

Sooo...why am I telling you all of this? Does it sound like I'm trying to sell it to you too? Well, I am. I called the customer service number because I had a question about the membership stuff, and then I asked the guy if they had any deals or sales that they wanted to give me, and he told me a few, but the best one is this: If I order 5 or more players, it will be $85 each for the ClearPlay player AND a one year membership. That's a $160 value for $85! Now I really do sound like an infomercial. The point is this: If there are any of you out there in blog land who are interested in going in on this and getting one, please leave a comment or send me an email letting me know. I asked the dude if there was a way to avoid paying shipping and he said I could pick them up from the office in Murray, so I think I'll plan to do that, especially if I do end up ordering 5 or more. So if you're in the Provo/Salt Lake area we can meet up and you too can avoid the shipping. If you live elsewhere and are interested, we can ship it---The guy said it was $15 for them to ship it...would probably be cheaper if I shipped it myself, but we can figure that out later.

But wait, act now and we'll throw in this cornbobber, absolutely free!

Seriously though, let me know some time in this next week so we can get this going if there are 4 other interested people out there. Thanks!

11 comments:

Don said...

I've had the Clearplay DVD player for four years and wouldn't leave home without it. (Jack, I expect a kickback for this plug.)

John said...

Clearplay offers the charm of old family values with a contemporary twist. I give it two thumbs up!

-John

Chris said...

I've been talking about getting the Clearplay DVD player for a while now. This seems like the Deal of all Deals! So, we'd like to place our order with Shirt's Enterprise...as long as we can get in on the corncobber deal too.

That was hillarious. How do people come up with that stuff? I feel so boring.

Chris said...

Just a question...do you HAVE to pay the $7.99 every month or is is just the months when you want to download new releases?

The Taylors said...

We have Clearplay and love it! The only thing is, we have had so many problems with the DVD player. We have had to return two machines and the second time we returned it, it took over four months for them to ship us new one!!! We have loved having filtered movies, but we have seriously been disappointed with the quality of the machine. (Mike and Emma also had problems with there DVD player.) Before you order, I would ask if they have different players now or express your concern and see what they say. Just FYI!

Jordan said...

Does everyone get the dvd player and the membership for a year or is it just you that gets that deal... it sounds like its only one person not all five people. Let me know. Thanks.

Jack said...

Yes, Jordan, everyone gets the deal. It's like a discount for buying in bulk...in fact, it is a discount for buying in bulk.

As for the players having tech issues, I'm not sure about how common that is. Can anyone else add to the conversation on that point? I believe there's a warranty on the players, but not sure how long.

Don said...

There's a one year warranty. I've had my current player for 1 1/2 years (I upgraded to the newer model with a thumb drive). I had trouble with it before the warranty was up and it was taken care of quickly. No trouble since.

--jeff * said...

it also removes bloodshed/gore, blasphemy, dishonoring the flag, and mushiness. which makes me wonder, "what would be left of 'the princess bride'?"

i've only used mine on one movie, but that's just because i'm finding enough non-R movies to watch. but i've got a lot of filters already downloaded that i want to use.

bottom line, team up with the shirts'.
and give me my cornbobber.

Corley said...

YOU ARE HILARIOUS! Natalie, I think you married a great match...you both are so funny. Anyway, I want to talk to my husband about it because I think its great!!! I'll let you know soon!

Karen said...

I'm going to print this & have Marty read it & I'll let you know. I've thought about it before so it comes down to convincing Marty.