Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My special assistant

I've done quite a bit of canning this fall, and I think I'm finally done. I did tomatoes, salsa, and spaghetti sauce, then grape juice and apple sauce with a friend, and then on Monday I did apple slices with the help of Jackson...and what a helper he was!

First he emptied the apples out of the bucket and threw them on the floor...we had quite a few bruised apples. Then he helped me wash them in the sink
Next, we used the spiffy peeler-corer-slicer. Jackson would help put the apple in the bowl of water and take the core off the prongs and then eat it.

He'd also throw the apples out of the bowl of water (and a good amount of them onto the floor) so I could cut the rings into chunks. He'd help himself to some along the way.
While I was doing all the hot stuff on the stove---boiling the apples, filling the jars, processing the jars---Jackson was having a great time standing on the stool, playing in the bowl of water that the apples were in. When I started the next batch, I found my hawaiian toast in the bottom of the bowl of water. Gross. While I was working on the second batch of hot stuff, Jackson was less content to just play in the water. He started putting everything from the counter into the toaster oven (which was unplugged, don't worry). Then I turned around and found him like this:

I think it was time to get down and do something else.
I finished up the last batch later when Jack was home. It was fun to have Jackson involved and "helping" even if it did make it a much bigger mess...(but) I'm really looking forward to him being a little older so the help will be more helpful!

4 comments:

Jordan said...

he's so cute! So you let him stand on the stool by himself?

Eevi said...

I wish you could teach me how to do all this canning!! Way to go Jackson with walking. I often feel mixed emotions about Saku growing up. I'm excited to see his personality and his development, but I already miss my baby.

Chris said...

Way to go Natalie!! All that canning looks beautiful!! I always say the sound of the jar lids popping when they seal shut is "music to my ears."
Wow that scares me to think of Jackson balancing on a stool & on the counter while you're doing hot things!! Sorry to be a worried Grandma, but....
You are an amazing Mom to accomplish all that with a one year old!

Karen said...

I'm very impressed with all your canning. Send some my way :)