Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Goin' Home

After leaving work today, I learned that my Grandma, Mae Rushton, passed away this morning. As I've been reflecting on my memories of Grandma, and my love and respect for this dear woman, my heart has been comforted by the sweet assurance and reality of the Resurrection.

It's never easy to lose someone (for now) that is as loved and as loving as Grandma. But I am much more thrilled for her than I am saddened for the family. In the last two years, Grandma's dementia has advanced rapidly. It was hard when I needed to introduce myself to her. Even though she couldn't remember my name, she knew I was her grandson and she expressed her love. Surely, she is celebrating in a grand reunion with her parents, siblings (she was the youngest and last living of 8 children), and her Donny Boy, my Uncle Don who drowned in his early twenties and who she has missed so much. I've imagined the welcome home she must have received.

As there are celebrations in heaven, we are celebrating on earth; celebrating the life she lived and the legacy she left. Grandma and Grandpa marked their 64th Wedding Anniversary in February. She was 87 and lived a life full of love and service to her family and many others. Most of my memories of her are of her serving others--she didn't know how to not work hard.

Grandpa has done a wonderful job in taking care of her--with the help of family and the folks at their assisted living center. It hasn't been easy for him, as her dementia had become so severe, but his love for her was always evident.

Despite the recent severity of her dementia, there was not once of visiting Grandma when she didn't bear a powerful witness of the Savior and the truthfulness of the Gospel. About a year ago, I was walking with Grandma. She reached out and held my hand as we walked and then she said, "Isn't it wonderful that Heavenly Father gave us families so that we could understand his love for us?" It is wonderful. I will cherish and honor Grandma's memory until we meet again.

Great Grandma Eleanor Harris Foxall holding Grandma Mae with Evelyn standing.

Mae (on left) with her sister, Evelyn, and cousin Dorothy Horrocks

Some of the Foxall Family around 1932. Mae is the young girl in the center

Ned and Mae on their wedding day--February 12, 1946 in Cardston, Alberta.
They drove from Montana through a blizzard to get to to the Temple to be married.

The Rushton Family in 1963

Great Grandma Mae and Jackson

Mae and Ned at a family event in 2009.

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Beautiful post about our beautiful Grandma. Love you Kappy

Chris said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma (and Grandpa) Rushton. It is obvious their example played a very evident role in how your family stayed true to the Gospel.
We love your family!

Bruce and Mitzi said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. That was a beautiful post about her. She's such a sweet lady...I wish you and your family all the best.

Karen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I have to agree that was a beautiful post. I can hardly see through my tears. Hugs