Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Unemployed World Traveler

It's June again. Towards the end of last summer I quit my job and went back to school. I never anticipated that I would travel more in the almost one year of having no job than at any other time in my life. I love to travel, but I do prefer to do it with my wife. Unfortunately, I left Natalie home for most of my traveling. But she has also traveled without me.

This week, she and Jackson are in Arizona at the Shirts Family Reunion. By the end of this week we will have been apart for a combined month during the past four months. I'm certainly glad I'm not doing a consulting job that would require me to travel five days each week.

Since last June I've been to the following places:
Canada--my first time to the motherland, or mother-in-law land. We plan to return this summer.

Michigan--not impressed, but only drove through the Detroit area.
Montana--MBA rafting trip
Idaho--on the way to Montana
Georgia--twice. For Bently & Bonnie's wedding and for Christmas.

Alabama--visited a Civil War battle site, where this was taken.

California--visiting companies. My first time to San Francisco. Some of the best seafood ever.
North Carolina--flyback to Bank of America in Charlotte. Stayed in the Ritz-Carlton.
China--Thanks Honeywell and BYUs Global Management Center--I paid very little for a week-long trip to China. More on that later.

China--Again. This time I paid, but it was awesome. The only downside was two weeks away from my family.

Hong Kong--on the same trip. Got to spend time with my mission companion, Thomas, and his wife Emi.

Japan--I usually wouldn't count an airport stay, but this one was long enough that it counts. While my flight was delayed, Jordan and Shawn's flight to Thailand was also delayed. I was at gate 22, they were at gate 16...but we didn't know until after the fact.

Our trip to Ohio took us through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa (it's like Heaven--just ask Shoe-less Joe), Illinois, Indiana. We plan to go to Pennsylvania and New York, and if we make it down to visit DC, we'll go through West Va and Virginia, too.

We'll have to wait and see where we end up during the next year of unemployment :)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, that's a lot of traveling.
I love it! Mother-in-law land. Very cute.
Maggie snickers just about every time she opens a bag of milk because that was on your 'Canada to-do list'.
Will you be going to grama & grampa's if you make it here?

Aimee said...

What part of Indiana were you in and how long? I live there you know! :) LOL!

Chris said...

What a fun post, Jack. It's amazing to count up all of those trips and places you've been this past year.