Pages
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Soap Box Derby
On Saturday we went to the All-American Soap Box Derby. Why? Well, mostly because we had 2-for-1 coupons and nothing else to do. But sounds fun though, right? Plus, they were filming a movie that some famous guy is directing.
We made our way around closed roads, hiked from the very last row of parking where we were directed to park, and made it to the ticket table with our 2-for-1 coupon, and then realized I didn't have my wallet and Jack didn't have any cash. Oops. Luckily it was a nice guy doing the tickets and he said someone bought extras and just gave us the tickets anyway :) I figure since we had the 2-for-1's, it would be the same as us buddying up with the group in front of us and them buying the tickets and us getting the free ones (it was good for up to three 2-for-1's). So we got in free. :)
This was the national soap box derby competition....serious stuff for these kids! Single elimination races--can you imagine all that hard work and you're out after just one run? We found some seats up near the top of the bleachers where we could see the whole track up the hill and (the best part) be in the shade. As you can tell from the pictures, it really wasn't very crowded at all... kinda wonder what they're going to do for the movie since they were hoping for a full stadium.
We thought Jackson would really like to see the derby cars racing down the track, and he did, but it was a little too long between rounds to keep his attention. He looks way more excited in these pictures than he actually was--I told him to point to the cars, and then to clap. Hey, made for cute pictures anyway :)
We didn't end up staying for very long because it was hot, we were hungry, Jack had some work to do, and Jackson was ready for a nap. I was glad we didn't end up paying for it at all, though it still would have been worth the $5 we would have spent. It was a fun little activity and now I can say I've been to a real live soap box derby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had to google soap box car to see what it was. I couldn't figure out how you could see cars made from little soap boxes from the top of the bleachers. I've now been enlightened.
hey, we have those cars.
Post a Comment