Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Change of Address, Part 1

Alright, alright, I hear you...I'm finally posting about our move.   I think we'll go with the timeline format:

May 16 & May 18:
We had some last get-togethers with old friends from the college days... I am still sad that I didn't get to see everyone on my list before we had to go.

Becky, Caleb & Isaac



Jeff, Aaron and Maren,

Scott, Jeff, Chris, Jack, Aaron

Friday, May 20th:

Wave goodbye to Shabrika Toyota Harper (lovingly named by my sister)...I was kinda surprised at how sad this made me.  Not that I was in tears as the car rode away or anything, but I think it just kinda hit me that it was all really happening.  And a HUGE thank you to Jack's parents for letting us borrow their van for the next week and a half.

And we ate creamies.  ...we had to eat everything out of the freezer anyway...

 Don't tell Clayton his was just a carrot.
Sunday, May 22: We went up to Bountiful for our last Shirts family Sunday dinner.  

Monday, May 23:
The movers come and pack up our world.  It was sooo nice to be able to just sit back and watch it all happening.  They spent most of the day there, from about 8:30 AM to 4 PM.  Jackson was a little concerned at first when they were putting all his things into boxes, but he made friends with them pretty quickly.  He still talks about Daryl and Bonnie and how they brought his toys to his new house on a big truck.  They'll never know what a lasting impression they made on him.





Tuesday, May 24:
Daryl and Bonnie came back, along with two other guys, to finish up the packing and to load the truck.  Jackson went over to play with a friend (Thanks Janelle!) because he was kind of in the way with them moving all the boxes and furniture out.  They were done by noon and then some wonderful friends came over to help us clean our house.  It went so much faster than I was dreading it to be, thanks to great help and an empty house. (Huge thanks to Maren, Annie, Jordan, and the Trowbridges).  I thought we'd have to come back another day to finish up, but we were done in a few hours.  We said goodbye to our house, turned in the keys, and drove off into the sunset.

That evening, we went to the U2 concert with Don & Kris, Jed & Jasmine, and Emily...  I'm not a huge music connoisseur outside of the country realm, so I really wasn't even sure who they were and only knew a few songs...but it was still fun to go :)

Thursday, May 26:
Day out with Thomas (posted about it here) and then frozen yogurt with Jordan in Provo



Friday, May 27: Got together with more friends to play and say goodbye.  We went to Chick-fil-a with Lindsey and Eliza

Sunday, May 29: Dinner with the Wilson family.  It was fun to get to see the Wilson cousins again and it was nice to get to say goodbye to them before leaving.

We went to the cemetery in Bountiful where Grandma Rushton is buried, seeing as it was Memorial Day weekend.  There was a boy scout troop handing out free hotdogs at the cemetery.  Weird.


Monday, May 30:
The Memorial Day celebration was not at Memorial Day this year because of bad weather and votes to not drive so far, but we still got together at a church building in Woods Cross to have the traditional Shirts gathering.



We also went to my aunt's house in Centerville for a West fam shindig. I was glad to get to seem before we  left too.



Tuesday, May 31:   Farewell, Utah!  


Stay tuned for part 2!

2 comments:

--jeff * said...

awesome. thank you for posting this. i've actually been looking forward to this story for quite a while and was afraid you weren't going to tell it.

so, yeah, thanks. : )

i'm glad i got to see you guys, too, before you left.

Chris said...

You did a great job documenting all of this Natalie. I felt a little melancholy for you as I looked at some of the pictures and read your post.
I hope NC turns out to be a great place to live and that you'll make some wonderful new friends there...of course they won't take the place of the old ones. They'll just add to your circle.