
Memorial Day is a location. Every year, for much longer than I can remember, this holiday has brought the Shirts family to the banks of a large pond in rural southern Utah County. I believe the tradition dates back to before my dad's birth.
My Grandma Shirts' grandparents helped to establish the towns of Payson and Benjamin. She grew up in Payson and met Grandpa at the Payson High School senior hop held at Arrowhead Resort and dance pavilion in Benjamin in 1935. Their graves are in the Payson cemetary. This is where they buried their first child, who died at the age of 14 months.

My dad and his siblings visiting the grave of their older brother on Memorial Day, 1956

It's only natural that we celebrate this holiday by visiting their graves (and those of Grandma's parents, both sets of grandparents and others). We always meet different distant relatives when we go to the Benjamin cemetary. Anyone viewing a Richardson, Stewart, or Hand family headstone (which constitute about half of the graves) is definitely related.
Then it's off to Salem Pond (Salem is the next town over from Payson), or as we refer to it, "Memorial Day." This was always a place of splendor.
My sister has captured the feel of the place here. There was something magical to me about riding in the long, cut-out tires turned into swings. Capsizing the canoe and racing empty Shasta pop cans in the tiny canal from the hilltop to the pond were annual highlights when we were little. When I got a little bigger, diving from the bridge into the murky water and battle disguised as ultimate frisbee added to the excitement. Back in the day we'd always enjoy Grandma's homemade brownies, pumpkin and lemon meringue pies, and homemade macaroni and cheese. Add in the cousins and some competition in the form of Shirts Rummy, and you've got one awesomely memorable Memorial Day!
You'll know where to find us next May.
P.S. Salem Pond was the location of my first date with Natalie...it only took me eight months to ask her out after we met.

This light post's foundation sits about 2.5 feet above ground level.
+Nell,+Jack+with.jpg)

6 comments:
I love traditions!
I remember you climbing that pole. Is that where Jeff and I think you were dancing and singing on the picnic tables, right?
What fun memories for you to have & continue.
Wow, what a beautiful place. I'd love to visit Salem pond one day. :)
Emily's essay was wonderful.
I love the pole-hugging monkey picture too. The first time I saw it...I knew you and Natalie would be great together. Two fun very fun people!
Wow Jack! We live close to Salem pond. We like to go look at the lights during the Christmas season there with hot chocolate handy! They reflect beautifully in the water.
manfriend, you cool like a mule!
here's to awesome dates at the pond (and maybe some singing and dancing on picnic tables....)
Post a Comment