We had Jackson's 9-month doctor check up today. I had the suspicion that he hadn't gained much weight in the past three months since his last check up. Well, I was right. He's lost .13 lbs. He now weighs 16 lbs 7 oz, dropping him from the 25th percentile to the 2nd. The doctor said to spend the next six weeks trying to beef him up, and then go back to weigh in again... He eats quite a bit of baby food already, it's just the milk he's lacking. He'll nurse well in the morning when he first gets up, and then he'll do alright in the evening a little bit before bedtime, but during the day he just won't really nurse. He's just too interested in everything and anything else and just plays. He doesn't take a bottle or sippy cup either, and now isn't drinking from a real cup like he used to. I'm not really sure how to get more into him. The doctor said if he won't take formula, we can try mixing whole milk with half and half...it's not what's in the bottle/sippy that is the problem, it's getting him to drink it. I'm going to start mixing his cereal with formula instead of water, but beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do.
The good news is that he was off the charts at 150th percentile for cuteness factor, but I already knew that too.
His head size is also dropping in percentile, now at the 5th percentile--but Dr. Simmons didn't seem concerned about that so I guess I'm not either?
He is 28 inches long, in the 42nd percentile so about average there.
One of the first things he said to me when he walked in and looked at Jackson was that he's orange. Yep, I knew that too. He said that can be a sign of anemia so they did a blood test for that, but it came back ok. I guess he just eats a lot of orange veggies? I try to balance it out, but have you ever looked at the baby food aisle? there really are a lot more orange ones than green. And most of the mixed veggies that have peas and beans in them are still orange. So my baby is orange.
Under-weight, average length, little head, orange, and exceedingly cute but overall a healthy baby.
9 comments:
Way to have an "off the charts" cute baby!! I certainly agree. :)
Can't wait to see him next month.
I love the title of your post! Very creative. I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but Walmart has really cheap sippie cups that make the transition to them easier. They sure helped us. If you're interested, let me know and you can have one of ours to see if he'll use it. Good luck with your cute little jumbo shrimp!
I haven't noticed that he is orange... Hmm... I better see him soon so I can check that. Busy Friday??
Orange, is that a new development. I never noticed. Well, hopefully he'll decide that he wants to drink some milk. I'm glad to hear that he is healthy otherwise. Congratulations on the cutie!
My little one was VERY picky about the bottle nipple shape and how fast it flowed. (little did I know there are 4 differnet numbers with 4 differnt flow levels.) We went through a lot of differnet options and finally found one that worked. I know it costs a lot to go out and buy like 5 different bottles, maybe you can borrow some from friends to find what works...I wish we lived closer I would pass mine onto you! Just keep trying, he will eventually take some sort of milk dispensing deivce! :) I know this is weird, but have you tried taking him a a dimly lit closet to nurse in the day? I know at this age they get distracted easily! Good luck! Keep us posted!
I was worried because Caleb dropped to the 25% in weight...I guess he's doing alright. Good luck beefing up your boy!
Take this for what it's worth... just another suggestion...
This may sound... well you decide... goats milk. It is exactly the same price as formula but 500% better for the little guy. (NO digestive issues) You also don't have to worry about giving it to him like you do cows milk. I never gave Johnson formula... um and have you seen him? LOL No weight problem there. He lived on goats milk after 6 months. (He had stopped nursing) It is also the closest thing to mother's milk! Any whole food store has it.
I also added a little bit of fresh carrot juice (of course I didn't make my own) for flavor and vitamins. It took a few days to get use to and then he loved it.
You can start 1-1-1 (1/3 water, 1/3 goats milk, 1/3 carrot juice) and then change the ratios as you'd like.
This may not be for you so not a big deal. Just sharing info.
You have the best titles.
This is Cameron not Amy. And last time I saw Jackson he wasn't orange!!
Post a Comment