Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

dilemma


I had been getting Parenting Magazine for free and didn't think much of it. Then I noticed a charge on my bank account from them, so I called the number to look into it. I told the rep that I did not order the magazine and did not want to be charged for it. She asked if I shopped at Motherhood Maternity recently and I said I did. She said they offerered me 2 months free of Parenting Magazine and then since I paid with a credit card at the store, Motherhood gave my credit card number to Parenting Magazine, who then charged me for a subscription.


Fortunately they were willing to refund me for the subscription (though it took 3 weeks to "process the request") but it still makes me mad Motherhood gave my credit card number away! I love their products and their prices, but this makes me not want to shop there any more. ...but then again, I love their products and prices... but...



Do I stop shopping at the store?

10 comments:

Jordan said...

That is completely and utterly immoral and wrong! They should not be allowed to give that kind of information away! Holy cow! That sounds illegal!

Chris said...

Wow, that is terrible! I wonder if that is what happened to me too? I remember getting that magazine, & didn't know why I was getting it, like you, I enjoyed it...unlike you, I didn't notice it on the credit card bill. :( Sounds like quite a scam they have going, eh? You do have a dilemma on your hands however. At least you have more choices for maternity clothes around there if you decide to boycott M Maternity.

H.Cook said...

they have the worst customer service ever! I had a fiasco with them last week. Hope pregnancy is going well!

Unknown said...

I had the Parenting Magazine thing from them too, except that they gave me the option of continuing with the subscription or not. They didn't just give away my CC#! I think they gave me a little card or something to cancel or continue the subscription. I'm sorry that happened! I wonder if you could press charges? Then again, that might be more of a hassle for you or bring you unwanted attention!

Starla said...

I think you should call them. They aren't supposed to do that. That is totally illegal.

Kristi said...

I would talk to them and find out their side of the story before you write them off completely. I think they were definitely in the wrong, but you never know what they might say. Maybe they'll give you free stuff to keep you as a customer. :)

Jordan said...

They probably had it written in small print somewhere that they were going to give away your CC#... losers!

Mollie said...

They do that at Ulta, sort of. They always ask if you want a free 3 month subscription to InStyle magazine. If you don't cancel it before the third month then they charge your card for a full year's subscription (or something like that). I did it once- and luckily I remembered to cancel at the last minute. I bet some of them can get pretty sneaky- like getting your approval in a really indirect way or not even really asking just assuming and handing you a free magazine without telling the details... eek! Businesses will do anything for money!

Becky said...

They offered me two months free, but I didn't want them hassling me with subscriptions, because I already get enough email ads from them. If I were you, I would at least let them know you don't appreciate them giving out your info, but yeah, maybe it is in the small print somewhere...

Natalie said...

I'm sure it was in the fine print somewhere (I don't remember signing anything, but I probably did). I still don't like it, but I guess it taught me a lesson. Never trust anybody. Or maybe just don't take free stuff cause it's never free.