I think most latter-day saints have a healthy respect for C.S. Lewis...me included. Oft quoted in sacrament meeting talks and General Conference, the man certainly had a deep spiritual understanding.I grew up watching the old WonderWorks versions of the Narnia stories on PBS and thoroughly enjoy 2005 version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Last week Natalie and I watched Shadowlands again. This is one of my all-time favorite films. It stars Sir Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger and is the true story of a portion of CS Lewis' life. Quite masterfully done. You can borrow it, if you promise to bring a large toffee and almond Symphony upon return (for Natalie).
I haven't seen Prince Caspian yet. But watching Shadowlands reminded me of the story and just how brilliant Lewis was. Looking at the story through a gospel lens makes it even more impressive to me. Perhaps it wasn't intentional, but much of the story of Prince Caspian falls right in line with the restored gospel on the earth.
Let's re-cap:
In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Aslan, the Son of the King across the sea defeats the White Witch and her demonic followers. This he does not through battle alone, but also through sacrifice. He is killed, yet becomes victorious over death and evil. He establishes a kingdom, but knowing he cannot stay, he places surrogates to watch over and care for the kingdom. Not coincidentally, Peter is the high king in Narnia. Peter and his siblings reign for a time, but then leave Narnia. Now we jump to the story of Prince Caspian.
The Pevensies return after a year, but in Narnia, centuries have passed. They find that with the absence of a rightful king, Narnia has been overtaken by outsiders and over the centuries has fallen into complete disarray. The people and creatures who remain lose not only their connection with Aslan and magic, but the very belief in these things. Because they don't believe in Aslan, they don't know what he's really like, and they fear anything connected to him.
I don't have the book in front of me so I can't quote specific passages, but here's what happens: Aslan returns to restore the kingdom to the rightful heir. That is, to the one who has been prepared to assume the thrown, even without his own knowledge. This of course, is Caspian. oh yeah, and Aslan first appears in a forest or grove.
Aslan will restore the kingdom, but interestingly, he does so through Peter, the high king. Aslan will leave again; Peter will leave again, but because of what they have bestowed upon Caspian, the kingdom will prevail.Without even knowing it, C.S. Lewis tells the story of Joseph Smith. Christ had established His church, had given Peter the keys of the priesthood, then ascended into heaven. As we know, Peter and the other apostles (save John) were killed. Their authority was not conferred upon others, and the kingdom fell into complete disarray. Or as we often refer to it, the Great Apostacy.
The kingdom could not rightfully return without the restoration of keys and authority that had to be given by someone who held them. Christ, the Lion of Judah, did return and appeared to the boy Joseph on more than one sacred occasion. But Christ did not personally give keys of authority to Joseph. Men who had held those keys in mortality, including Peter, returned in glorified form to bestow those keys upon Joseph, who had been prepared and prophesied of for millennia. Peter did not stay to reign, nor did Christ remain personally on the earth. But he will, after the Last Battle.Am I stretching things way too much? Should I just enjoy the story and not try to make it into what it's not?
You can decide for yourself. But for me, this makes the story only that much better.
7 comments:
I think your take is spot on (not that Lewis intended to mean those things, but it works perfectly). Good post. Although, I did catch the remark about you not having the book to quote from. I just wanted to read it again before I saw the movie. Sheesh! Pontificate away.
Hey can you post another prego picture?
well writ, manfriend. watching the movie last week, i knew it was a gospel allegory, but i couldn't find the connections. thanks for shedding the light.
now, go see the movie.
Steph and I were just discussing this very subject after seeing this movie last week. I think the whole not knowing how to recognize Aslan thing was right on. The Narnians and the Pevansies made things much harder for themselves by trying to do everything on their own. Aslan was there the whole time ready to help them, but they had to follow his signs. The only one who saw him was Lucy the youngest and most receptive child. No one really listened to her until things were desperate. There are many stories from early church history where the people suffered through horrible trials that could have been avoided if they had listened to the voice of the Lord through his humble messenger, young Joseph. I suppose it is human nature to do things the hard way. It is certainly my nature, I just hope I can learn from stories such as this to take that step of faith into the ravine and see how the Lord will catch me.
I don't disagree with your interpretation, but one thing that's interesting is how the movie focused more on the Christian symbolism than the book of Prince Caspian did.
I just read it last week, and while it is there, I think the film actually made it closer to Joseph's Smith story than the book did.
And closer to the Lord of the Rings, but that's another point.
Lewis certainly created intentional parallels to the story of Christianity, definitely not intentionally to the Restoration. However, your insights are fascinating.
By the way, if you like Lewis you may also like to read some of George MacDonald's stuff. MacDonald's writings were what first encouraged Lewis to seek his own personal faith in God. Ask me about it sometime.
-Brian
Oh, and J and I shared our first kiss after watching Shadowlands. I have a great affinity for that movie for more than one reason :)
Post a Comment