Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Baby food

Last year we did a lot of canning--- peach halves, apple sauce, apple slices, and apple pie filling. We've still got a pretty good amount of it, and I've got my hands full these days, so I turned down two offers for free peaches. Then a lady in my ward offered her house, supplies, and expertise to can baby food. We'll be needing lots of that in the next few months, and with her help and everything, I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal. Unfortunately all my sources for free peaches were no longer available. I did get some from a fruit stand for half price because they were very ripe, but since we were mushing it all up anyway it didn't really matter. Next I had to find pint jars. Apparently you have to act early in the season to find them around here! Our WalMart was out of them, and so were the three Macey's grocery stores that I called. I finally found them at a different WalMart. I just realized nobody is going to care about that. Oh well.
I went over to the Furr's house this morning and we did 14 jars of peaches, and will finish up the rest tomorrow...probably another 14 jars worth. We'll be doing two bushels pears on Monday or Tuesday. I hope this baby likes peaches & pears.

I have always thought that "can," when used as a verb, as in "I am going to can peaches & pears tomorrow" should be spelled "cann." I have to stop myself from spelling it that way sometimes.
Anyone have some fruit I can cann?

5 comments:

Molly said...

I SOOOO agree about the word cann. Charles laughs at all the past tenses I come up with, too.

Chris said...

That's exciting to have her help, and especially nice that the mess is at HER house! ;) Way to go, Natalie!

Karen said...

I'm impressed. I think I did salsa once when Maggie was a baby. I too agree with cann.

Jordan said...

Well sister, apparently it's unanimous the word should be spelled C-A-N-N! That is really nice of that lady to help you do the canning!

Unknown said...

So Natalie, If you want to come over and pick grapes you can. I have a whole fence full of ripe green and dark purple! They are really good, but I don't do anything with them except eat them straight off the vine. I know my neighbor who shares the fence makes grape juice from them and bottles it. Feel free to come by.
I also have a bunch of carrots to pick this weekend before it gets too cold. You're welcome to some of those and any apples you can get down from our tree. I've done my applesauce this year and I'm not doing any more! They have worms, cause we forgot to spray, but i just cut those out and they worked just fine. :)
Email me if you're interested.