Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Epiphany Day

e·piph·a·ny  [i-pif-uh-nee]: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
 
For those of you who have known either Natalie or me for more than two years, you'll remember that there was an awkward period between us. It is not uncommon for people to really question their choice to be dating someone, especially when things start to get serious. I like to think it is uncommon for two people to break up (actually, one of us did the breaking up part) and then start dating again almost exactly a year later.

Yes, Natalie broke off our relationship while I was in China during the Fall 2005 semester. This is me alone, untamed, conquering the Great Wall in Hun-like fashion.

After both of had dated other people, we realized that we really missed each other. We had run into each other (ouch!) on campus, reconnected and on October 21, 2006, we hiked the Y together.

The next night I joined Natalie and her roommates for some Sunday evening games. I had just received word that a dear friend from my mission had passed away, and as Natalie walked me to my car...she's a sly one...I asked her for a hug. Mind you, I had no idea where things would lead, or if she was even still--or should I say again--interested in me. She obliged with the hug. When
 she didn't let go, I knew something was up. Pretty smart guy, aren't I?

Not knowing what to say, but wanting to say something, it seemed our resulting courtship and marriage were hinged on that pivotal moment, when with a stroke of brilliance I simply asked, "So...had any epiphanies lately?"

She had. And the rest, as they say, is history.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hooray for epiphany day! Bytheway, my answer to his oh-so-suave question was, "I still love you!" I still did. And I still do, even more.

Jaime said...

i am so glad you guys shared this story with everyone! it, made me feel better. :)