Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Any clouds in the Sky?

I needed a good excuse to vacuum out my car. But this was not what I was expecting.

Yesterday morning I was driving home from an appointment in Sandy. I had just come to the bottom of the hill after passing the point of the mountain. When out of nowhere...
POP! Kkshshshsh!

Hearing the loud pop (maybe from a rock, piece of tire, or hardened vegetable remnant hitting my window--who knows?), I instinctively turned my head away from the sound. A split second later, my driver's side window was flying in a million pieces. As if the proverbial German-aria-singing Fat Lady was a little sharp on the high notes, the window shattered.

Glass shards shot in at me with the force of a rogue astronaut who accidentally opened the space hatch without first securing himself to the shuttle wall.

Although glass covered every surface in the car, including me, I didn't receive so much as a scratch. Thanks, Mom, for always praying for my safety. I feel very blessed.

So now my beautiful '87 Honda that has a leaky sunroof when it rains, is also missing a window. Bring on the rain!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I, for one, and very glad you weren't hurt!

Karen said...

Glad to hear you're okay. It's a scary thing when you don't know what's happening. When Maggie was 3 a buck ran into the side of the van while we were on the way to church & broke the window.

Molly said...

I'm glad you're ok! As Charles put it when I totaled his former best friend, cars are disposable, people are not.

Sarah said...

Hey a similar thing happened to me! Only it was the back window of my car (which, incidentally, is also a Honda). It cracked (from the cold, we think) and it scared me to death. Glad you're okay!!
p.s. you don't actually know me :) but I went to high school with Jack and found your blog through a friend - tell Jack hi from Sarah Tate

Kristi said...

That is so crazy! I hope it's not my fault because I sold you the car!!! But anyway, I'm glad you're okay. That's scary. Are you going to replace it, or enjoy the feel of the wind on your face?

Becky said...

Wow, I think I would panic if shards of glass started showering upon me while driving on the interstate. Brady had a good sized rock hit his windshield, but a just left a quarter-sized star-like splatter; the rest of the window is still in tact (sadly, he just got his windshield replaced about 6 weeks before that happened). I need to vacuum out my car, too. Maybe I should do that before I am given a better excuse to do so, like you got.

--jeff * said...

i was going to do a post about the rock that hit and cracked my windshield a few weeks ago, but yours beats mine.
glad you're ok, manfriend.

Mollie said...

Yikes!! So glad you didn't get hurt. Hey Natalie is good at fixing things, especially 1987 autos- ask her!