Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Climb Every Mountain

Or if not, at least climb the same mountain 13 times. On Friday, Aaron, Maren & I hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos. Natalie didn't want to join us for some reason. This was my 13th time making the ascent in almost 17 years. I made the first trip with my brothers and dad on Labor Day when I had just started fourth grade.
Notwithstanding our experience (it was Aaron's ninth trip up, or something like that), this was possibly the most difficult. We took a fairly aggressive pace, and for a less-than-perfectly-fit guy like me, it was rigorous to say the least. We made it from the Aspen Grove trail head to the tip top in just under 5 1/2 hours (summit elevation is 11,749 ft). We saw plenty of mountain goats near the half-way point. Don't forget the mountain goats!
It's still considered early in the hiking season on the mountain. There was tons of snow. We passed some pansy-men who were shocked to see us just walking across the steep snow patches. They were crouched and moving very slowly. Doesn't this picture remind you of Alaska during the Gold Rush?We were expecting a spectacular sunset view from the saddle or the top, but apparently due to the California fires, the sky was filled with smoke (I'm pretty sure this also affected my breathing). But we made it! Oh, sweet victory! Too bad you still have the whole trip down after a victorious ascent.









We decided to slide down the glacier, and were glad for bringing headlamps. Sliding down in the dark was scary and exhilarating. Maren was very brave to slide down after Aaron had just screamed for two minutes straight before coming to a stop. It was similar to going down the alpine slide, only without a sled or padding, and the slide was ice instead of cement. very bumpy. My backside is still a little bruised. The two lights in the picture are Maren and Aaron below me on the ice.

All in all, it was a success. I'll probably do it again next year. When the thrill is gone and the pain and fatigue set in, I'll probably ask myself why I'm doing it again. But who wants to end with number 13?

10 comments:

Molly said...

Um, once was enough for me! You're crazy!

Heidi Rushton said...

I have never hiked Timp, how pathetic is that? Good job Jack!!

Natalie said...

I've never hiked to the top either...but I wasn't really feeling up to it this time. I'm a whimp, I know. Sorry you had to third-wheel it.

CK Rock said...

Thanks for posting a picture of Aaron and his fiancee(?) Tell him Congrats for me when you see him again.

Jordan said...

Climb Every Mountain!!! Hmmm... Sound of Music??

Viewmont High 2000 said...

check out the vhs class blog at vhs2000.blogspot.com.

Be sure to leave your name and blog in the comments and spread the word.

--jeff * said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
--jeff * said...

way to be awesome, manfriend. how many goats did you see? = )

(why is my name posting weird? that's just weird)

Mark said...

You are insane! I've hiked it twice(?) and plan to do it again this year, but not late in the day! It's scary enough in the daylight, in my opinion. So Jack, do you want to go next month when I go?

Unknown said...

No wonder Natalie didn't want to go! Well, I think she also may have been considering the baby's safty as well as her own-Don't you think?! J/K, but that did sound like a pretty daring slide there at the end! :)