Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Last day of school syndrome

Yes, telling my boss went so well last week. And it has been really fun having other people know about it finally. Everyone was totally surprised that I hid it for so long. Life was great for a day or two. Word spread quickly---I had asked the HR lady what the company's maternity leave policy was and then she emailed back a response and copied in her supervisor (Greg) on the email. Great, but at least I had told my boss already. But Greg works from the Denver office so I didn't think too much of it. The next morning, who walks in the door, but Greg himself! "Congratulations, Natalie! That's great! When are you due? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" ...a few minutes later, guy who sits on the other side of the wall from me comes over..."Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" Yep. It was kind of fun to watch it spread. I sure was glad that I was ready for it to though, or that would have kind of been a problem. A little while later, my other supervisor (not the one I told) came over. "So, Natalie...you kind of have this...glow...about you. Any explanation?" So you've heard rumors, eh? It's been fun.

Until...

Friday. Company meeting. Guys here from the parent company in Sweden...not usually a good sign. They informed us that the president of the North America branch of our company was no longer with the company, and that they'd be taking the next few days to determine the direction of the company. Great. So the past few days have been really weird around here. We know that there are two guys from Sweden sitting in our conference room, determining our fates. And we sit here and wait.

Of course no one feels like working---what's the point if you aren't going to be here tomorrow? One fellow worker said it feels like the last day of school. Indeed it does. It feels like the last day of school, where your teacher gives you some worksheets to do, but come on...what's the point? Why are you going to do the worksheets when you don't even have school tomorrow? Your grades are already determined, you're just waiting to get your report card. And so that's the way we all feel.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Interesting... This made me think of an episode of The Office. I hardly ever watch that show but I have seen about three or four episodes. One of the episodes the parent company is changing management and all the workers think they are going to get let go so they are all just sitting around the office not really doing much while people are in meetings trying to figure things out. They said why work if we might be fired in two days... same situation... only more funny on tv then when it is in your own life.