I'll prove it to you. Take today for example:
He went to the regional competition for Science Fair, where his exhibit on the air pressure in soccer balls was on display to be judged. (See my mom's blog for details on the exhibit). I got a text from my mom this morning saying, "One girl from school just said to me 'Ryan is a genius. he is like the next Einstein. He should run for president of the US. I would totally vote for him.' Lol. We are sitting at the science fair waiting for the judges to look at the projects." I'd vote for you too, little brother! Mitt has paved the way.
Then I talked to my mom around noon and they were still there doing the science fair thing. She said that she was standing there talking to Ryan's teacher and all of the kids were just waiting around to be dismissed for lunch. It was pretty calm and quiet and then suddenly there was a lot of commotion and loudness. Mrs. Wilson-Jones went over to see what was going on, and there
was a big group of kids all crowded around and the West Side (Ryan's school) kids were cheering. Turns out some of the kids from West Side saw another kid (We'll call him Billy) with a rubix cube so they got Billy and Ryan together for a little friendly competition. Well, as soon as they started, Billy's jaw dropped and he stood there in utter wonderment as Ryan's hands flew to solve the cube. The crows cheered. Ryan passed the cube around to have it thoroughly scrambled by his adoring fans, then solved it again. And again. I believe this kid's record is 29 seconds.I missed a call from my mom a while later, so I called her back and Ryan answered the phone. He's a funny person to talk to on the phone (or in real life, for that matter) because he tends to lack enthusiasm when he speaks sometimes. Well, he had a little more life to him than normal, so I asked how the competition went. Great! He got first place in the physics division and would be going on to the State competition in April. He also won "like $50 or something...uhhh...I'm not really sure how much. I think they're going to mail it to me." Congrats! Awesome! Great job, little brother! "Wanna talk to mom now?" ...that's his way of saying "I don't have anything else to say. I'm done now." Sure. My mom goes on to tell me that, not only did he win first place in the physics division, but this kid got first place overall in the entire Junior Division! That's my brother!
Then she told me that after it was all over they were taking all the stuff out to the car and they passed a group of about 10 giggling girls who all complimented him on is project and said how cool it was. A teacher or mother asked my mom if Ryan had a girl friend. Haha! My mom went back in to get more stuff and when she came out, this lady was taking a picture of Ryan surrounded by all these girls. What a stud, huh?
Tonight he's got another soccer game, third night in a row. He's on the JV team for LaGrange High. I'm not sure how much playing he's done so far since he's an 8th grader on the JV team, but his day will come. He's also got his first youth dance tonight in conjunction with a multi-stake youth conference. Those 14 year old girls will be fighting over him...if they can get him off the couch and away from his rubix cube that is sure to be in his pocket.
...and to think, I used to change his diapers....

6 comments:
Quite the claim to fame, diaper changer! He's growing up so fast. I couldn't believe he was taller than me at your wedding.
You are too funny, Natalie!
That "little" brother of yours is
5'9.5" 121 lbs (with shoes) according to the check-up he had on Tuesday.
Didn't he win something like this last year too?!
I wish I was as smart as an 8th grader like your brother.
aww! What a cute little brother! YAY for science fairs and students who do well at them!!!!
Too funny! We were out to dinner this week and the table beside us said "and Ryan West". That was all we heard but they were definately talking about him! And it was a table full of cute girls;)
He isn't too animated on the phone is he!
Wow 29 seconds! Reminds me when we were flying out to your wedding....I think his average was 40 something seconds!
Well, I'll set the "record" straight...his record is 23 seconds! I'm with Starla...I wish I was smarter than an 8th grader! This morning at the youth conference a girl passed Dad in the hall, and when she noticed his name tag she said "Cool! You're related to Ryan West?"
Sooo funny. I guess Dad MUST be cool too then, eh? The best part is that Ryan just smiles & takes this all in stride.
Mom
Post a Comment