Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Voice of the Lord and the Liahona

Our Sunday School lesson today reminded me of our family scripture study from last week.

I love reading The Book of Mormon every day with Natalie and I'm very glad we've kept this habit up. I often miss discussing doctrines with Jeff, but I'm grateful that Natalie and I can have these experiences together.

Sometimes I'll ask her about a verse or phrase, "What do you think of that?" or "What do you think that means?" She's getting used to the idea that I'm not just in seminary teacher mode trying to just teach her what I think or have learned, but I really want to know what she thinks, and more often than not, I don't have an answer that I'm just waiting to pontificate [Charles and Molly, may I suggest pontificate as next week's word?].

Some days ago, we had a great discussion regarding 1 Nephi 16:26. Nephi's bow has broken, his family murmurs, he makes a new bow and one arrow (with which he slays wild beasts), and then asks his father/prophet, "Whither shall I go to obtain food?"

After the Lord chastens Lehi, something remarkable occurs.

v.26: "And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord said unto him: Look upon the ball, and behold the things which are written."

Here's what we found remarkable: The Lord speaks to Lehi, but doesn't tell him exactly what to do or where to go. Instead, he directs Lehi to search what is written on the object-gift from the Lord, designed to give guidance and direction, which only works "according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them."

How easy it would have been for the Lord to just tell Lehi what was written, but that would not have required faith in the way that having him look upon the ball of curious workmanship did.

3 comments:

Molly said...

You may indeed! Since vigilance was a runner-up, you'll have wait until we finish with it next week before we get to pontificate!

Brooke said...

Hi Jack!

I was blog hopping around and ran into yours! Wow, what a great day! Congratulations on your soon-to-be new arrival, you and Natalie are such a cute couple. So anyway, come visit our blog if you'd like...Lindsi and Becca are on my links too. Take Care :)

--jeff * said...

in addition to a 'singin in the rain' night, we need to find a time for a doctrine night, too.